Sunday 15 January 2012

What is Jacob's Delhi All About?

For the longest time, I have had a love-hate relationship with Delhi. I moved here in 2000 to study at St. Stephen's College. Since then, apart from a short two year break, I have lived in or around this city. I've ranted and raved about Delhi's lack of civic sense and discipline, the filth and grime, and its infamous aggression. Yet, with age comes the maturity to be able to see it in a more positive light. Ten years of living here has meant that I have experienced my fair share of the historical, cultural, epicurean and outrageously hilarious sides of India's capital. Now is the time to share my experiences with the world at large.

I'm a bit of a history buff. I've always liked to feel the area around me in terms of understanding how its past has shaped its present. A key focus of this blog is to look at the legacy of various dynasties that have ruled Delhi. 

The city is littered with monuments. Many of them lie tucked away in the urban sprawl, far away from people's eyes. We pass other regularly on the main roads, scarcely aware of their significance and their origins. And then there are a few well preserved UNESCO documented World Heritage Sites. I came across a book "Delhi: Its Monuments and History" by Percival Spear when I was in College. Recently, I managed to get my hands on a copy of it again, and decided to use it to learn more about Delhi. What I soon realized was that there was so much I had not seen. 

To set matters straight, I have decided to spend this year getting to know Delhi better, and to document what I see. This blog is my attempt at documentation ... Delhi through my eyes. Read on to see if you find anything of interest or discover something new.


Large City, Lots to Do

No comments:

Post a Comment